Monday 9 June 2014

Pastor love your church

We had our church fellowship meeting yesterday, it was a usual run of the mill meeting, nothing earth shattering.  Financial report - guess what we have deficit and so on..., a report on the last year with its encouragements and discouragements, a look at some new job descriptions and a look at what the next year holds.  But where we did veer off plan was when one of the congregation asked how long our current elders were committed to the church for.  Would we still be there in 3 years time.  That the question came from someone who is unwaveringly committed to the church and the people and the leaders spoke volumes as to that man's concerns and desire to for the gospel.

Here is my answer to that question, in a fuller way than I was able to give it yesterday as I responded on the hoof.  I love Grace church and I intend to be here until I die or you kick me out (that comment prompted interesting discussion about hypothetically how you would do that - at least I hope it was hypothetical).  I love the community which is increasingly being moulded and shaped by the gospel into a loving, breathing, real faith family.  I love the people in it who are generous and gracious and love to welcome all and forgive all readily, who hold the gospel out with open hands to anyone in our community.  I love those who have persevered with my failings in my first pastorate; my desire to do everything right now as we planted, who have awaited and are still waiting for my preaching to develop into maturity, who recognise my weaknesses but don't condemn me for them but pray for them.  Who have patiently waited for me to learn from ministry mistakes and never once said I told you so, who have forgiven and showed grace to me their pastor time and time again, and who throughout it all have loved and encouraged me and prayed for me and my family.

I love that it is a church that challenges me to not be distracted and to focus on preaching God's word faithfully, that it cares for my well being and that of my family.  That members will ask if I've had my day off and protect it for me, that they will ask if I've taken my holidays.  I love that it is a church that doesn't take itself too seriously whilst taking the gospel and our mission so seriously.  I love that Grace Church is generous with their pastors time, encouraging me to serve other churches, CU's and invest in training others and also to serve in our community.  I love that it is not a perfect church, that it is not always a joy to pastor but that through hard times, discouraging times, and painful times it has always looked to God by grace, longing to hear from his word and see again our Saviour.

Above all I am grateful to God that he has called me to be part of his church here, and amazed at his grace and goodness in allowing me to play my part in leading his church as I teach his precious all powerful word to his precious children.  That question has reminded me of the gift of God that his church is and of my call to love God's church.

No comments: